Gleanings from the Wrexham Advertiser

News Items



Wrexham Advertiser,


Register Of Literary, Railway, Local and

General Information.


February  1ST 1850     No.2                                             Price 1d.

                                                              Farm To Let

                                    To Be Let And May Be Entered Upon Immediately,

                                                              all that capital,

                                                   Farm called The TALWRN,

                        situate about three miles from the town of  Wrexham and about

                                          three miles from the village of Ruabon.

                                                     For particulars apply to

                                                    Mr.  J. BURY, Wrexham

                                                 New Drapery Establishment,

                                                        Compton House,

                                                   York-Street, Wrexham.

                                                   JAMES OLLERHEAD

                                           Linen and woollen drapery goods.


Romance of real life:- In the year 1779 there lived in Wrexham- Captain JONES, an elderly gentleman, and a young Doctor, named MANNING. They were friends until from some cause they quarrelled. We believe that Captain Jones`s daughter was the subject of the dispute. A duel however, was fought at Whitchurch; Captain Jones was killed, and Dr. Manning became deranged. He resided in Wrexham a few years afterwards, and was then sent to Kirkdale Lunatic Asylum, where he remained until his death, a period of nearly fifty years. His property is said to have accumulated to about  £70,000, which will be divided amongst his relatives.

This incident has been the subject of much fire-side conversation among the old people of Wrexham, many of whom remember the circumstances of the duel.

June 1850       No.6

Vron Colliery Company

The Vron Colliery Company beg respectfully to inform the public, that they are now selling at three pence per cut, ready cash, their new mine coal.  Also a Quantity of rough and brick slack constantly on hand.

January 15th 1851      No.14


The Height of Cowardice. - When you have a quarrel with your clergyman, and he revenges himself by mounting his pulpit and preaching a sermon at you.

What is a Gentleman:  - Paying one day a visit to the Poor-house, I had an opportunity of learning the solution of this long pending question.   I was taken to see an idiot, and truly, a more frightful representation of humanity I never saw.  He lay in what is called the Receiving Ward, a room into which applicants are taken to await the inspection of the Medical Officer previous to admission.  Beside the idiot, there were in the room, an old man, his keeper, and another old man, whom I may call a Probationary Pauper.  I entered into conversation with the keeper, and asked him some particulars about his ward, particularly the sleeping arrangements, - "Where do you sleep"? said I, "In that bed there," said he, pointing to the one which was side by side with the idiot`s. - "And who sleeps in that one"? I asked, pointing to the remaining one - "Oh!" he very courteously replied, "That is used by that other gentleman there," bowing to the Probationary Pauper, who sat cowering over the fire on a bench.

February 15th 1851     No.16


Interesting Marriage. - Yesterday morning a very interesting ceremony was performed, where neither officiating clergyman nor any of the parties interested uttered a single word.  The Bride, Groom, Bridesmaid, and Groomsman being all deaf mutes, and the ceremony being conducted entirely with the fingers.  Previous to the marriage Mr. PEEL, the President, made a silent address to the pupils, which, though entirely incomprehensible to ourselves, seemed to interest those who understood the language. - Tribune.

April 15th 1851            No.20


The Guardians elected for Wrexham Regis, are -  CHARLES POYSER, Esq., Summer-hill; and Mr. JAMES JACKSON, Coach Builder;  The Guardian for Wrexham Abbot, is Mr. R. W. JOHNSON, Auctioneer.

The Surveyors of the highways for Wrexham Regis, are  - Mr. ROGERS, Black Lion Inn, Hope-street, and Mr. Ephraim Knibbs, High-street.

November 1st 1851     No.27

Marriage of the Honourable THOMAS FFRENCH, with Miss THOMPSON, of Stansty Hall.

Wrexham was the scene of the highest hilarity on Saturday, the 18th ult., on the occasion of the marriage of the Hon. THOS. FFRENCH, eldest son of Lord FFRENCH, of Castle-Ffrench, in the county of Galway, Ireland, with Miss THOMPSON, only daughter of RICHARD THOMPSON, Esq., of Stansty Hall.  So high is the respect in which Mr. J. THOMPSON and Mr. RICHARD THOMPSON are held, (the grandfather and father of the bride) that although the intended marriage was only announced a few days previous to its taking place, a most efficient committee was formed, and immediate preparations made to mark the esteem in which the family are held.  A public subscription was entered upon, and a sufficient sum was contributed to enable all classes to participate in the festivities.  Twenty sheep were given by Mr. THOMPSON, and a fat bullock provided by the committee, which were distributed by ticket, under the superintendence of Mr. KELLY.

December 1st 1851     No.28

To be sold by private contract.

All that well-built Cottage or Dwelling-house, with the garden thereto belonging, situate at Pont-y Capel, in the Parish of Gresford, in the County of Denbigh, lately occupied by Mrs. RICHARDS, deceased.

Freehold Houses at Afon-Eithaf, in the Parish of Ruabon, in the County of Denbigh.

To be sold by Auction, by Mr. ROWLAND, at the Wynnstay Arms, Ruabon, on Friday, the 19th day of December, 1851, at four o`clock in the afternoon, subject to conditions to be then and there produced:-

All those Four Substantially-built Cottages, with Two Gardens, situate at Afon-Eithaf aforesaid, and in the occupation of SAMUEL WILLIAMS, JOSEPH WRIGHT, ELLEN THOMAS, and JOHN JONES. (The property of the late Mr. MAURICE MORRIS, Ruabon, deceased.)

March 1st 1852    No. 31

FRANCIS JAMES HUGHES, Esq., has been appointed High Sheriff, for the County of Denbigh, for the present year.

Wrexham Petty Sessions, 23rd Feb.

ELLIS WILLIAMS, of Wrexham, labourer, was charged by Mr. ROWLAND, of the same place, with stealing a handkerchief, his property. It appeared that on Wednesday, the 18th ult., the prosecutor was removing his furniture from a house in Charles-street to one in Chester-street, and had employed the prisoner to assist.  The handkerchief was placed by Mr. DAVIES over an ottoman, to protect it from the rain; but when the prosecutor arrived at home the handkerchief was missing, and the prisoner was applied to, who disclaimed all knowledge of it.  Information was given to P.C. RAFFERTY, who went to the prisoner`s house, and there discovered the handkerchief.  The prisoner called his sister, who swore that she found the handkerchief by the Wynnstay Arms Hotel, on the evening of the removal; but the Bench disbelieved her statement, and the prisoner was sent to the next Quarter Sessions for trial.  Mr. BUCKTON prosecuted.

Mr. T. HUMPHREYS, of Berse, was charged before the Bench, by the Inspector of Police, for having no name on his cart.  Fined 6d, with costs, amounting to 8s.

April 1st 1852    No. 32

Local Offences:

On Thursday the 11th ult., a daring robbery took place in this town, attended with considerable violence.  It appears Mr. THOMAS FRANCIS, grocer, keeps a shop in Hope-street, but resides in King-street.  He is in the habit of locking up his shop every night; and he or his young men carry the cash to his house in King-street.  On the above evening one of the young men had done so as usual, and upon his way to King-street, and when near to the back door of the house, he was attacked by three men, and knocked down with some instrument which rendered him insensible for a time.  The cash box containing £81 3s was carried off.  The time of this transaction was 10 minutes past eight, and there are gas lamps on the spot, which is much frequented.  Before the alarm was given, the theives had abundant time to make their escape. 

A few days previously the shop of Mr. JOHN RICHARDSON, near the Cock Inn, was broken into, and two sides of a pig were stolen.  On Saturday the 20th ult., TURNER, Milkman, of Wrexham Fechan, having purchased a stack of hay, when about to carry it off discovered concealed two filches of bacon on the top of the stack, where the theives had deposited it until a fit opportunity of carrying it off.

On Tuesday evening, the 23rd ult., being Wrexham March Fair day, Mr. PRICE, Farm Bailiff to T. MAINWARING, Esq., of Marchwiel Hall, was way-laid on his return from the Fair, by some villains, in a lane near Bryn-y-grog, who robbed him and abused him fearfully.  He had sold a quantity of Farming Stock, and the robbers no doubt calculated on a large booty, but they were disappointed; he had not received the cash, and had left his watch at the watchmaker`s, they were obliged to content themselves with 2s.  the Police have no intelligence of the perpetrators.

On Monday morning, about two o`clock, a.m., Mr. ANKERS, Wine Merchant, of this Town, was proceeding on very urgent business a little way in the country, attended by a young man named Mc LEVI.  They were told to stand and deliver; it was dreadfully dark, and Mr. ANKERS thought at first that some drunken wag was hoaxing him, but upon its being repeated, he pulled up.  Mc LEVI was in advance, and fortunately armed with a pistol, charged to the muzzle, which at the command of his master he let fly.  The explosion was like that of a cannon, and scattered the miscreants like chaff.  The flash afforded light enough to see them scarper like hares.  Mr. ANKERS and his squire turned their horses` heads, and were in Town in a crack.  About an hour after this, the same scoundrels, it is supposed, attempted an entry into the Vicarage, by boring the shutters; but they were disturbed by the appearance of a light, and decamped.  The home of Mr. VAUGHAN, Maltster, in New-Street, was attempted about half an hour after by the same means - boring the shutters, but met with the same success.

Another robbery was perpetrated on Monday night, the 29th ult., the house of EDWARD PARTIN, Butcher, who lives in the Barn Field, Madeira-hill, was broken into and robbed of more than £30.  It is not long since PARTIN was robbed before.  The local knowledge displayed in all these villainies, are a sure proof that the rascals who commit them are no strangers.  We question if the annals of crime in Wrexham ever furnished such a chapter before.  We are compelled to advise every man to arm himself with a revolver, charged to the muzzle with shot, and become his own Policeman.

May 1st 1852    No. 33

Accidents and Offences

Casualty at Wrexham

On Monday, the (5th ) ult., an accident happened to a little boy of 6 years old.  The little fellow was going down the Town Hill, by the side of its mother, when a mule and cart, loaded with  (----) met him coming up the hill, the wheel of which knocked him down, passed over his leg, and broke it.  A young man, about 20 years of age, was driving the cart at the time, and gaping about him instead of attending to his duty, and despite the cries of the people, when there was ample time, he did not stop the mule until the injury was effected.

Wrexham Petty Sessions

April 19th 1852, before Lord DUNGANNON, PAUL GRIFFITH PANTON, Esq., &c.  -

HARRIETT LITTLEWOOD, a young woman from the Moss, near this Town, was brought up before the Bench charged with stealing a gold watch and appendages, the property of the Rev. Mr. CLARE, Baptist Minister.  The prisoner was the servant of Mr. CLARE, and on Sunday the watch was missed from the prosecutor`s room.  Upon  a search being made a gold ring of Mr. CLARE`s was found in the prisoner`s pocket and on being questioned about the watch she denied all knowledge respecting it and left the house; the officer LAMB having received information proceeded to the Moss and apprehended her, and after a long examination, she was sent to the next sessions at Ruthin, for trial for stealing the ring, but bail would be taken if offered before Monday next for appearance.  The watch has not yet been discovered. 

A number of assaults and drunk and disorderly cases were heard and fines imposed, but they were not worth reporting.

Accident at Wrexham

On Friday, the 2nd inst., a boy, the son of Mr. JOHN GRIFFITHS, farmer, of Glan-yr-afon, met with an accident which resulted in breaking his thigh.  It appears that the boy had been to the South Sea Colliery, a short distance from the house, with a horse and cart, for a load of coal, and, upon his return into the farm yard, when taking his horse out of the cart, the weight of the coal overpowered him, and the blades of the cart pressing upon his breast, he was forced down into a stooping posture, and rendered unable to call for assistance.  In this situation he was shortly afterwards found in a state of insensibility, with his thigh broken.  Medical aid was promptly obtained, and the boy is improving.

June 1st 1852    No. 34

Accidents and Offences

Attempted Suicide at Wrexham Fechan

A woman named SARAH BARNES, residing in Wrexham Fechan, in the town, attempted self-destruction on Monday evening by throwing herself into a pit in a field at the back of the house of Miss BENNION.  She was seen to jump in by some men who were passing at the time, and was with much difficulty dragged out of the pit nearly dead.  Medical aid was called in, and she is now fast recovering.  The cause of the rash act is a disagreement with her brother.

Accident at Wrexham

On Wednesday last a young man named FOULKES, a clerk, went into the churchyard in this town whilst divine service was being performed, to examine the tomb-stones, and before he was aware of it the gates were locked, and in endeavouring to get over the iron railings, which are pointed at the top, he missed his footing, fell backwards, and one of the spikes entering the calf of his leg, he was seriously injured.

An Unsafe Housekeeper

On Friday week a woman called SIMPSON, the wife of a plasterer residing in Yorke-street, Wrexham, whose intellect has lately become affected, attempted to place her child upon the fire, but was providentially prevented by a lodger who came in at the time.  She is now under the care of the parish authorities.

Robbery at the Black Lion

A few weeks ago Mr. ROGERS of the above public-house contributed, with many others, to a fund for procuring increased protection to property, in consequence of the alarm excited by the recent robberies.  He had a practical demonstration of the utility of his subscription the other evening, when some theives entered his larder and carried off its contents.  Of course, there is no trace of the perpetrators.

July 1. 1852.     No. 35

Fatal Accident to John Thompson, Esq.

On Friday evening, the 4th ult., a fatal accident happened at Minera, near Wrexham, by which the life of JOHN THOMPSON, Esq., the extensive iron and coal proprietor was sacrificed.  It appeared the Mr. THOMPSON, about 4 o`clock in the afternoon, was riding about his estates at Minera, and upon crossing a branch line of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway at that place on his pony, he had nearly passed over, when a train was coming up.  He put his spurs to the pony, which swerved, and the engine caught it on the hinder part of the body, which threw it and the rider a considerable distance down an embankment.  Assistance was immediately rendered, and Mr. THOMPSON was taken to the Miner`s Arms Inn, and medical aid was obtained, but he died about 8 o`clock the same evening.  No blame is attached to any person.  An inquest was held at the Miner`s Arms Inn, on Saturday before (BEVIS) HEYWOOD THELWALL, Esq., and a respectable jury, when a verdict of Accidental Death was returned, but the jury recommended that a watchman should be stationed on this part of the line to prevent accidents for the future.


The new florin, value two shillings, will be issued immediately.

The submarine telegraph between Holyhead and Dublin is completed.  The wire cable is 80 miles, and the width of the channel 60.

The Denbighshire Yeomanry Cavalry last month had a week`s drill at Ruthin.  The newspapers in speaking of them, seemed to hesitate between panygeric and ridicule.

2nd June, Mr. JAMES GOULSON ascended from the Bellevue Gardens, Manchester, in a balloon, and had his brains dashed out against a stone quarry in his decent.

The Wesleyan Methodists have decreased in number the past year 80,000.  If 400 members will support a minister, this will reduce their ministerial staff by 200.

A machine has been contrived in America to kill whales by electricity.

The Queen has issued a proclamation against Roman Catholic processions, which were becoming very numerous in and about London.

The farmers of the Eastern Counties have formed themselves into an agricultural association for the removal of their peculiar burdens, and put forth a charter with five points, accompanied by a letter of Mr. COBDEN`s, containing advice for the conduct of farmers.  Think of that, the farmers battling under the banner of COBDEN.

WREXHAM RAGGED SCHOOLS. -- Several meetings have been held by persons interested in the welfare of the poor, for the establishment of a Ragged School.  We believe that a master and room, are engaged, and that funds are forthcoming.  The Schools may be expected to be opened forthwith.

August 1. 1852.     No. 36

Fatal Accident at Brymbo

On Friday, the 2nd ult., an accident happened on the Brymbo Line of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway at Brymbo.  It appears the engine driver of the train in question had gone to Liverpool to bury his father, and a young man named HARROP supplied his place.  The train had left the Wheat Sheaf Station, and was proceeding up to Minera, and when near the Church at Brymbo, on going up an incline it was met by a truck containing lime, which had got loose, and had overpowered a boy in charge of it; on coming down the incline with fearful rapidity, it dashed into the engine, causing it to go off the rails.  HARROP and the boy were thrown off, dreadfully mangled, and died immediately.  The stoker had his two legs broken, and amputation of one has subsequently taken place.

Wrexham and Denbighshire Weekly Advertiser,

and Cheshire, Shropshire, Flintshire, and North Wales Register. 

No. 153.- vol. 111.                  Saturday, January 3, 1857.    Price 2D - Stamped 3D.

Front page: 

Mr. JOHN WILLIAMS, Surgeon, Accoucheur, & Apothecary, will be removing from Willow house, Wrexham, to No. 6 Pen-y-Bryn, Wrexham (counting from the corner of Chapel-street) He was Parish Surgeon for Llanrwst 1830-1.  He was presented with a silver medal on leaving Corwen, with the following inscription:

?Presented to JOHN WILLIAMS, Esq., Surgeon, by the Rev. MORGAN HUGHES, Vicar of Corwen, and one of her majesty`s justices of the peace, on behalf of it`s inhabitants and the members of six friendly societies, whom he attended to their great satisfaction for the period of 18 years.  Oct. 16th, 1850.?

Mr. W. appointed Public Vaccinator, Willow House, Wrexham, Dec. 31, 1856.

Rhosymedre, near Ruabon.

Miss HUGHES begs respectfully to intimate to parents and guardians that she intends opening a school on Monday, Jan. 12th 1857, for the education of young ladies in all the branches of a sound and useful-education at Mr. ROBERTS`S (formerly occupied by Mr. PULESTON, Draper).  Miss H. begs to assure those who entrust their children to her care that the most careful attention will be devoted to their moral training as to their intellectual improvement, having had 14 years experience in the education of children.  For terms and course instruction see circulars.

New owner of the Mitre Brewery, Wrexham, is Mr. THOMAS HEYWOOD.

JOHN OVERTON & co., Wellington Brewery, Ruabon.

D. B. SADLER, Tobacconist, has opened a new shop in Hope-Street, next door to the Fleece Inn.  Dec. 12, 1856.

Mr. N. S. SCOTCHERS, Jeweller & Silversmith,  Hope-street, Wrexham.

Local News

Wrexham Petty Sessions.

Monday, December 29, 1856.

Before H. W. MEREDITH, Esq. Chairman: and Captain PANTON.  R. N.

Riding in carts.

THOMAS MORRIS was fined 9s. 6d. including costs, on the information of P. C. THOMAS, for riding in his cart on the Ruthin Road.  Defendant stated in his defence that he had some (barrels) and Geese in the cart, and that he went in to prevent the barrels tumbling upon the geese.  THOMAS, however, stated that he was quietly sitting on the front of the cart with his foot on the shafts, when he saw him.  This the defendant himself admitted, and so he was fined.

THOMAS PHILIP JONES was fined 13s. 6d. including costs for not having his name upon his cart, defendant admitted that the charge was true.  He had forgotten all about the name, although he had got a new one painted, to put on. 

Obstruction on the highway.

THOMAS MORRIS, Roadman, who keeps the Gate at the twenty houses, Minera, was summoned by Mr. KING, charged with putting six heaps of stones on the highway on the Ruthin Road and leaving them there for an unreasonable time, thereby causing danger to the public.  Mr. KING stated that on the evening of the 18th ult. Wrexham (fair) day he was returning to Wrexham in a gig on the above road, and kept on the proper side.  Suddenly he was nearly thrown out, by the gig coming in contact with certain heaps of stones, and he was only saved by laying hold of the splash board.  Next morning he returned to the spot and found heaps of stones along the road, only 4ft. 6in. from its centre, the heaps being from 19in. to 2ft. in height.

He ascertained that they had been there for ten days and they had been put there by Mr. PARKER?s team by order of the defendant - MORRIS stated that he had been not very well for the last (four) weeks and was in consequence unable to work and attend to them.  This the bench did not consider to be any justification as there was another man working on the road who might have spread them and so prevented any danger.  Fined 10s. 6d., including costs.

Narrow Escape

On Friday morning, the 26th ultimo, a young girl named PRYTHERCH, about 16 years old, the niece of Miss JONES, Baker, Bank-street, in this town, was in the bakehouse attending to the bread, when her dress by some means took fire and the back portion of her person was soon enveloped in flames.  Upon perceiving the danger, the girl immediately ran into the house a few doors down the street, and Mr. WILLIAM PRYTHERCH, her uncle, who was in the house at the time, with great presence of mind, rolled the girl upon the ground, and thus extinguished the flames before she received much injury but that consequent on the fright.  If persons similarly situated would have the presence of mind and adopt this plan, it would be the means of preventing much suffering, which too often occur from the want of it, and which saved the girl upon this occasion.

Fatal Accident

On Monday last, the 29th ult., an accident happened at Pickhill, near this town, which resulted in the death of Mr. WM. WILLIAMS, Farmer, of that place.  It appears that the deceased was on the top of a load of straw, and in tightening the ropes which bound it he, by some means, lost his hold and was precipitated to the ground upon his head.  On his being raised, it was found that his neck was dislocated and that he had ceased to breathe.  Deceased was a fine, robust man, and originally a native of this town.  His farther was well known as WILLIAMS, the Mole-Catcher, and resided many years in Pentrefelin.


Two children drowned

On Monday last, Two little children, belonging to Mr. EDWARD WALMSLEY, Taylor, Rhostyllen, near Wrexham were unfortunately drowned in the river which flows down the vale of Bersham, past Felin-Puleston.  Formerly there was a bridge over the stream where the road leads from the little Vownog to the Turnpike Road between Wrexham and Ruabon but about a twelve month ago it was pulled down by some strolling vagrants from Wrexham, it was stated this bridge was somewhat elevated above the river, and was quite safe; but when it was pulled down a narrow plank was placed at the bottom, a few inches only above the bed of the stream.  There has been some talk during the year of replacing the bridge, but although one gentleman offered £5 as a contribution towards the expenses, nothing came of it, and the plank was allowed to remain.  The father of the poor children has buried his wife only four months ago, which must greatly add to his distress on the present melancholy occasion.  On Monday the two children, it would appear, went down to the water and attempted to pass over the plank, when from some cause both of them fell into it.  No one was by at the time, and therefore it is impossible to state precisely the cause of their doing so.  The oldest girl, MARY, was 12 years of age, and the younger, named JANE, was only 18 months old, they were not immediately missed, but on enquiries being made, another girl stated that she had seen them going down the road.  Search was then made for them, but no traces of them were discovered on the Monday night.  On Tuesday morning the body of the elder little girl was found by EDWARD LLOYD, a Labourer working on the railway and in another hour or so, WILLIAM ROBERTS, a labourer in the employ of Mr. R. W. JOHNSON, Esless farm, also discovered the body of the younger one.  On Thursday last an inquest was held on the bodies, at the Black Lion, Rhostyllen, before B. H. THELWALL, Esq, the coroner, and a respectable jury, JAMES EDISBURY, Esq, Bersham, being foreman.  etc......... etc.......

The jury found a verdict of "accidental death by drowning, by walking over a plank substituted for a bridge crossing the Bersham river upon the 30th of December, 1856, which river runs over a road from the little Fownog to the Wrexham and Ruabon Turnpike road".

Saturday, January 10, 1857.   No. 154.- vol. 111.                               

Local News.

Monday January 5th 1857 before H. K. MEREDITH, Esq., Chairman; and Captain PANTON, R. N.

Charge of Assault, -

JOHN DEMPSEY, Pont-tuttle, Wrexham, preferred a charge of assault against SAMUEL ROWLAND, which was alleged to have taken place on Thursday, the 1st inst.  Complainant, it appears, went some three or four times to the house of the defendant to enquire if one ELIZA LLOYD lodged there, and on the last occasion, he (the defendant) lost his temper and kicked the complainant away from his door.  The Bench dismissed the case on the ground that there certainly was no necessity for the complainant going to defendant`s house so many times to ask if a certain party was in when he received a positive answer each time.

Poaching. -

JOHN WILLIAMS, a Labourer, employed on the railway, was charged, with shooting and killing a partridge, on lands belonging to T. L. FITZHUGH, Esq., of Plas Power.  Mr. JOHN BRAUGHAN, Gamekeeper, deposed that in going along the road on the day in question he heard a gun fired off, and heard some boys call out in the lane "Have you killed any of them"?  He saw the defendant come out of the field over the gate with a gun in his hand, he (witness) then when into the field and following the track of a man to the hedge, he found a partridge hid in it apparantly, bleeding and quite warm.  He did not see the smoke from the gun, nor did he see the defendant in the field, but only on the gate.  Defendant denied shooting at any game whatever.  He was in Mrs. EVANS`s he stated, drinking that morning with JOHN COOPER, and others, and she asked him to kill her a rook as they infested her corn very much.  He then borrowed a gun and went out, but he was not away more than five minutes altogether.  He was not in the field, but he saw Mr. BLAUGHAN in the road about 20 yards behind the boys, one of the latter being his own brother,

The case was then adjourned, in order for the defendant to bring as evidence the boys who were at the time in the road when the gun was fired off. 

Mr. BUCKTON appeared on behalf of the prosecution.

Offence against the Beer Act. - Mr. CHAS. ZACCHARY, Publican, and landlord of the Golden Grove, between Pulford and Hope, was fined 13s. on the information of P. C. GREEN, for keeping his house open for the sale of beer between the hours of 3 and 5 on Sunday afternoon, the 28th ult. Defendant said that two gentleman?s servants, who were leaving their places, called to settle their accounts, and his wife did give each of them a pint of ale.  They would have paid on the Saturday night only that his wife could not give them change.

Impudent Theft -

On Friday night, the 2nd inst., some evil desposed person or persons entered the back premises of Mr. BENJAMIN YOUDE, Milkman, in Penybryn, and stole there from 3 pigs, out of a litter of 9 and about a month old.  The pig-sty is adjoining the cow shed, about 30 yards from Mr. YOUDE`S residence, so that the thieves had a good opportunity of committing the theft.  It is quite evident there is nothing too hot, too heavy, or indeed too noisy for the thieves of this neighbourhood, and we would therefore recommend all housekeepers to be on their guard.

A few days since, one of the fraternity, vulgarly called SWEEPS, was engaged to cleanse the whole of the chimneys at the residence of a reverend church divine in this neighbourhood, who had the good fortune to hold a plurality of livings, the former, after completing the job, was asked by his employer for his charge.  Upon being informed the figure, the reverend gentleman expressed his surprise at what he considered the exorbitant nature of the charge, and stated that he (the Sweep) was certainly earning a vast amount of money.

The Sweep, in answer, whilst tying up his bag of soot, naively replied, "aye, aye, yer honour; we gentlemen of the black cloth generally get pretty well paid for our work."  We need not add the needful was paid at once.

Brymbo -

On Monday last an inquest was held at the house of Mr. POWELL, the Cross Foxes, at Brymbo, on the body of a young man, about 17 years of age, named PRICE EDWARDS, who worked at the Penycoed Colliery, in the occupation of Messrs, GREEN, DAVIES, and ROBERTS.  It appears that the deceased, on the Wednesday previous, had unloaded the coal from a pyche which had just previously been wound up the pit, and was drawing the pyche backwards, towards the pit`s mouth, when by some means the hook became unloosed, and the deceased fell backwards into the pit and was killed.  A verdict of accidental death was returned.


Orders received by Mr. MEREDITH JONES, Timber Merchant, Charles-street, Wrexham, Agent to the Brymbo Company, Westminster Company, and Ruabon Company. 

Loads promptly delivered to the town or neighbourhood.

Death of Mr. JOHN JONES, late of Llangollen, - we learn from a Welsh Periodical published in America that, on the 18th of November last, the above gentleman died of Intermittent Fever, at Cincinnati, Ohio, leaving a widow and two daughters to deplore his loss.  He was the son of the late Mr. THOMAS JONES, Grocer, Marchwiel, and was well known in this neighbourhood and throughout Wales as a literary character and temperance advocate.  

Denbighshire Quarter Sessions

Trial of the prisoners

GEORGE FLYNN, alias WILLIAM THOMAS SMITH, pleaded guilty to a charge of housebreaking at Llansilin, and stealing wearing apparel.  Mr. V. WILLIAMS appeared for the prosecution.  The prisoner was undefended.  Verdict, guilty.  Two other convictions were proved against the prisoner.  For one he had been transported for 7 years in the year 1853, and had been liberated with a ticket of leave.  Sentenced to 6 years penal servitude.

JANE POVEY surrendered on a charge of stealing a gold watch at Wrexham, on the 7th of November last, the property of Mr. MORRIS, skinner.  The prisoner pleaded not guilty.  Mr. V. WILLIAMS appeared for the prosecution.  The prisoner was undefended.  HARRIET BERKLEY, rather an intelligent little girl, sworn, said I know Mr. MORRIS, the skinner.  I saw him in November last in Charles Street.  The prisoner was talking to Mr. MORRIS.  She had hold of him by the collar.  I told her I would tell JANE.  She is the person that takes care of Mr. MORRIS.  I heard him say, "Oh, good God, let me go."  He then went down the street.  The prisoner followed him and brought him back to the same place, and shoved him against the wall.  Mr. MORRIS said, "Oh, good God, don`t steal my watch."  I saw the prisoner take something from over his head.  The prisoner then pulled his hat over his eyes.  The prisoner then went towards the Ranters` Chapel.  The prisoner told me if I did not go away she would hit me dead.  I afterwards told JANE JONES. 

By the Court:  It was 7 o`clock in the evening.  Prisoner said, when asked if she had anything to say, "I know nothing about it."  P.C. JOHN OWENS, bridewell keeper, Wrexham, said: in consequence of information I received I went to the prisoner`s house.  I asked her for the watch she had taken from Mr. MORRIS.  She said, "It is all right; my husband has got it."  I then told her the charge.  She said she found it in High Street.  I then locked her up.  On the following morning she said she would show me where the watch was.  The watch was found in a hedge, and taken to Mr. HEYWOOD`S, the watchmaker.  The prisoner said she had put it under a stone close by her window.  The prisoner lives in the Beast Market.  On Saturday afternoon Mr. HEYWOOD gave me the watch.  Mr. MORRIS is quite imbecile, and not fit to come here today.  -  MATTHEW EDDOWES, a little boy10 years old, said: "I found the watch near the Cock Tavern, Wrexham.  I put it in a drawer at home, and told mother of it." - MARY EDDOWES, mother of the last witness, proved taking the watch to Mr. HEYWOOD.  - Mr. THOMAS HEYWOOD, said : "The watch I received from the last witness is Mr. MORRIS`s property".  - This was the case for the prosecution.  The Chairman summed up, and after a short deliberation, the jury returned a verdict of guilty.  Sentenced to 3 months imprisonment with hard labour, and one of the 3 months to be in solitary confinement.

JOHN JONES, surrendered, and was charged with stealing a bundle containing wearing apparel, from the King`s Head, Wrexham.  Mr. V. WILLIAMS appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. SWEETENHAM defended the prisoner.  Verdict not guilty.

WILLIAM COLES, 52, was indicted for stealing a quantity of flock and a bag, the property of Mr. GREVEL, paper manufacturer, Bersham.  The prisoner pleaded not guilty.  Mr. SWEETENHAM appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. V. WILLIAMS defended the prisoner.  After a very long trial and the summing up of the Chairman, in which he observed, he thought there was a little misunderstanding, and he thought, had it not been for that misunderstanding, they should not have heard anything about it.  Verdict not guilty.

WILLIAM LLOYD was indicted with stealing wearing apparel.  The prisoner pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to be imprisoned for 14 days, with hard labour.

JOHN TUDOR, was charged with stealing a silver watch, at Wrexham.  The prisoner pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to 6 months, with hard labour.

JANE JONES was indicted for obtaining goods by false pretences from Mr. CARMAN, an assistant at Mr. T. C. JONES`s. There were two indictments against this prisoner.  Pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to be imprisoned for the first charge, for 7 days, for the other charge, 1 month with hard labour.

Flintshire Quarter Sessions

JAMES CAHILL, a soldier, was charged with stealing certain monies and a drawer, on the 17th of Nov. inst., of ANNE FOULKES, in the parish of Hawarden.  Mr. SWEETENHAM prosecuted, the prisoner being undefended. - 12 months imprisonment with hard labour.

ROBERT ROBERTS, a joiner, was indicted for obtaining money by false pretences of Mr. W. JONES, in the parish of Mold, on the 12th of July 1856.  There were three separate charges, all of the same character, preferred against the prisoner, on two of which he was acquitted, and the other was abandoned. - Mr. SWEETENHAM prosecuted and Mr. VAUGHAN WILLIAMS defended.

ELIZABETH HUMPHREYS was found guilty of stealing one linen petticoat, the property of JANE CHAMBERS, at St. Asaph, on the 1st of Feb. 1856, and was sentenced to 1 months imprisonment. - Mr. VAUGHAN WILLIAMS prosecuted.

THOMAS HUGHES and ELIZABETH HUGHES were charged, and found guilty of stealing two sheets of metal at Holywell, on the 13th of Dec., value 13s., the property of Mr. WM. KEATON, and others.  - THOS. HUGHES was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment, and ELIZABETH HUGHES to 4 months.  - Mr. SWEETENHAM prosecuted.

THOMAS HUGHES, stone mason and farmer, was found guilty of stealing at Mold, on the 3rd of Jan. 1857, a glass, the property of Mr. EDWARD HOPWOOD, of the Roe Buck Inn.  As a prior conviction was proved against him he was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment.  - Mr. SWEETENHAM prosecuted.

JAMES ALLMARK, servant to Mr. JOHN WALLISCROFT, of Sealand, was found guilty of stealing, a number of fowls, on the 7th of December, the property of his master, and was sentenced to two months imprisonment.  - Mr. SWEETENHAM prosecuted and Mr. V. WILLIAMS defended.

ANN DAVIES was charged with being an accomplice with ELIZABETH HUMPHREYS in stealing the linen petticoat of JANE CHAMBERS, at St. Asaph, on the 1st Feb. last.  - Acquitted.  - Mr. V. WILLIAMS prosecuted and Mr. SWEETENHAM defended.

THOMAS HUGHES and EDWARD TATTUM were charged with stealing a quantity of coals, the property of CATHERINE JONES, in the parish of Mold, on the 23rd of October.  - Acquitted.  - Mr. SWEETENHAM prosecuted and Mr. V. WILLIAMS defended.

Saturday, January 17, 1857   No. 155.- vol. 111.

Local News

Wrexham Petty Sessions.

Riding in Carts.

ISAAC SINGLETON, an old man from Gresford, was fined 9s.6d., including costs, on the information of P.C. GREEN, for riding in his cart without reins.  The defendent was very indignant at being fined, and said, "I do not care if it is 190 sixpences - but you can depend upon it that that man (the Policeman) is no good."

JOHN THOMAS, in the employment of Mr. HARRISON, of Plas Coch, was fined 12s. including costs for riding in his cart on the highway.  The defendent when spoken to by P.C. ROBERTS, gave his name as "ELIAS" THOMAS, and also refused to get down until his horses were stopped by the Policeman.

Disorderlies -

EDWARD MORGAN, from Penygelle, was in custody on a charge of being drunk and disorderly.  Inspector LAMB deposed, that on Saturday, hearing "an awful noise" on the Ruthin Road, a little beyond Penybryn, he, in company with FLETCHER, went to see what it was all about, when they arrived they found a lot of people scrawling and shouting amongst themselves in a most histerial manner.  The prisoner was one of the noisiest, and on taking him into custody, he found a large stone (produced in Court) in his hand, but he would not say what he was going to do with it, but one of the men who were with him was hit by one.  Fined 5s. and 3s. 6d. costs.

PULESTON JACKSON was also in custody charged with fighting in Penybryn, between 12 and 1 o?clock on Sunday Morning last, with one PETER ROBERTS - the latter having made his escape.  P.C. FLETCHER stated the facts, and deposed to its being a regular "pitch" fight.  JACKSON in his defence went a little further back.  He was going quietly home, when arriving in Penybryn, he saw a crowd and PETER ROBERTS fighting with another man.  On this he got ROBERTS away and was taking him home, when ROBERTS resented the interference by giving him a smart blow on the nob.  He did then return it, and just then the Policeman made his appearance and stopped the sport.  Fined including costs 8s. 6d.

JAMES COOKE, a Forgeman, working at the South Sea Works, was then charged by FLETCHER with laying hold of him and interfering with him whilst in the execution of his public duty.  This occurred when he was taking JACKSON, the last defendant, to the lockup on Saturday night.  COOKE denied putting his hands upon him, but LAMB corroborating FLETCHER`s statement he himself having threatened to give him a "crowner" if he went on meddling.  He was fined 40s., and expenses.

WILLIAM WILLIAMS, an unfortunate wight, from the Adwy, was also in the dock, having been picked up on the Ruthin Road by Inspector LAMB in a completely helpless state of intoxication.  This occurred between one and two o`clock on Sunday morning last, near to the burying ground.  LAMB believed that he must have been ill used by the party which had been making all the row before, as he heard them on the road further on, and there was marks of a kick on his nose, P. C. HICKS stated, the prisoner was noted as a remarkably quiet man.  WILLIAMS when asked could give no account of himself at all.  Did not remember any one kicking him, nor indeed anything else.  Dismissed with a caution to avoid bad company and drunkenness.

Shooting a Partridge at Rhostyllen.-

This case which was adjourned from the last sessions was again heard to-day.  CHARLES WILLIAMS, aged 9 years, and brother to the defendant, was examined.  He saw his brother, he said, first in the road with a gun in his hand, but did not see him shooting at all.  He (the witness)saw some crows in the field - was quite sure of that.  When he saw his brother in the road with the gun, Mr. BRAUGHAM was close by them - GEORGE EVANS, a little fellow between 7 and 8 years old, son of Mrs. EVANS, of the Black Horse, whose eyes only could just be discovered peeping over the witness box, was also examined, but not under oath.  He said that he and CHARLEY were in the middle field snow balling one another, but he did not see any one shooting.  After Mr. BRAUGHAM had recapiltulated his former statement, the defendant was fined £1 13s. 6d., including expenses, the chairman remarking, that he never knew a stronger case of circumstantional evidence.

A Refractory Pauper-

MARY BATTERBY was brought up in custody charged by Mr. KEMP with being refractory in the workhouse, and breaking the leaver of the window, the lock of the door and four squares of glass, amounting to 3s damage, at twelve o`clock on Monday last.  This not being the first time for prisoner to be in custody for similar conduct, she was sent to Ruthin for fourteen days.

New Marriage Act.

Parties should bear to mind that the new marriage act came into operation on the 1st inst.

Notices may now be given to any registrar of birth, of deaths, or of marriages, or their deputies, which in many cases, where the superintendent resides at a distance, will be of great convenience to the public. -- Where the parties reside in different districts, a notice in one is now sufficient.  -- Notices are not now to be read over before the board of guardians as formerly, but merely suspended in the superintendents registrars office.  The fee by licence is reduced from £3 to £1  10s.  Besides the stamp (10s.) - and a licence can be had at the expiration of one clear day after notice has been given.  In all cases now where a marriage is to take place in a "registered building", the consent of the minister or trustee, & co., is requisite.

Saturday, January 24, 1857.   No. 156.- vol. 111


Never let the anticipation of a coming pleasure cause you to waste present moments.  Many lose half their lives by neglecting the present, in regrets for the past, of vain anticiptions for the future.

Saturday, January 31, 1857.   No. 157.- vol. 111. 

Only 2 pages available, one of which is unreadable, due to double-exposure during filming.

Saturday, February 7, 1857.      No. 158.- vol. 1V.      

Local News

Inspector of Nuisance for Wrexham Regis:

A meeting of the Nuisance Removal Committee for Wrexham Regis, was held in their room at the Market Hall, on Wednesday evening last, for the purpose of electing an inspector.

T.  EDGWORTH, Esq., in the chair.  There were five candidates for the appointment, which ultimately Mr. THOMAS SAMUEL, of the Red Lion Inn, Chester-street, was elected.

A Large Egg:

On Thursday morning a small hen, the property of Mr. JAMES JONES, of the Old Bridewell, Salop Road, Wrexham, laid a remarkably large egg, measuring above 8 inches in its larger circumference and a little over 6 inches in its smaller.  Considering the size of the hen, this was certainly a remarkable "production".

District News

Overton - A Prize Pig.

 We have been favoured with the following particulars of the remarkabley fine pig which was bred and fed by Mr. ROBERTS, of the Trotting Mare Inn, near Ellesmere, and on Friday week manufactured into pork for market by Mr. DAVID JONES, butcher, of Overton, - Dimensions - length, 10ft. 3 ins.; height, 4ft. 5 ins.; girth, 6ft. 11in. weight 41sc. 7lb.

A Christian Country.

The Rev. DAVID JONES, of Llanarmon, summoned RICHARD JONES, farmer, Grychanan, for threatening to use violence, thereby placing complainant in bodily fear.  From the evidence it appeared that about 11 o`clock on the night in question defendant and two others were leaving a public house in the village.  They went to the Parsonage as they alleged, for the purpose of seeing the servants.  The Rev. D. JONES hearing them came out with a gun, which he fired, but it was only loaded with powder.  Some altercation took place, but there was no evidence of an actual assault on the part of defendant, although plaintiff swore he used threatening language.  The Rev. MADDOCK WILLIAMS said it was a pity plaintiff should waste powder.  If there was any need of a gun at all, it may as well have been properly charged.  There was no assault proved, and they could only bind the men over to keep the peace.  Mr. JONES, felt himself in bodily fear.  The Rev. D. JONES  -  it is a system of terror in Llanarmon.  People go about the country and do just what they like.  The Rev. MADDOCK WILLIAMS  -  it may do in Llanarmon but it must not be tolerated in a Christian country.  The defendant was then bound over to keep the peace towards her Majesty`s subjects in general, and the Rev. D. JONES in particular.  It appeared that summonses had been served upon the two other offenders, but for some reason they were abandoned.

 Saturday, February 14, 1857.      No. 159.- vol. 1V.  

Local News

Sudden Deaths in Wrexham:

This week two sudden deaths have occurred in Wrexham, one of which has caused a universal feeling of sorrow and, to a certain extent, of alarm.  On Saturday night last, Mr. JOSEPH MORRIS, leather manufacturer, retired to rest after partaking of a hearty supper, apparently in as good health as usual.  Some time afterwards he became so ill that it was thought advisable to send for a doctor, and a messenger was, consequently despatched, for J. H. JACKSON, Esq., who at once prescribed for him.  After taking the medicine, he became somewhat better, and expressed himself so.  This was about half-past 2 o`clock.

Mr. JACKSON called again at 11 o`clock (Sunday morning) and found him as he conceived considerably better.  Up to this time, no symptoms of an alarming character had at all developed themselves.  A little after 2 o`clock, he was suddenly seized with convulsive fits, and before Mr. JACKSON could arrive, he was dead.  The news instantly spread all over the Town and created a profound sensation, as the deceased was seen the previous evening in different parts of the Town, active and as healthy looking as ever he was.  As might be expected, the shock was very great to the members of his family, his brother-in-law, Mr. CALDECOT, becoming so ill that the doctor was obliged to be sent for to attend to him.

On Tuesday morning, as the servant girl of Mrs. GOULBOURNE, shopkeeper, Chester-street, went to her mistress`s room, she found, to her horror and amazement, that she was dead in her bed.  The deceased has been rather ailing of late, but she was not particularly so on the previous night when she retired to rest.

An Australian Heroine:

The population of (---lburn), near Sydney, turned out on Monday 3rd November last, to see honour done to a little girl, named MARY ANNE McCORMACK, to whom was presented a gold medal, in reward of her heroic conduct in rescuing, last August, her little brothers and sisters from the hut in which they were laid in bed, and which was nearly burned down before the poor helpless children were awoke out of their sleep.  She had rushed three or four times through the flames, and each time brought out a scorched child, whose nightclothes were on fire.  The lives of three were sacrificed, notwithstanding her exertions, the poor children having been badly burned; and to add to the domestic calamity MARY ANNE`s mother had since been a lunatic, through the shock she received on that terrible night.

The presentation was made by Mr. MAITLAND, the acting justice of the district.

The Welsh Fusiliers:

The gallant 23rd, or Welsh Fusiliers, have just received orders from the Horse Guards, to prepare to embark for India, their immediate destination probably being the Persian Gulf.

District News


The late assault on the Rev. D. JONES  -  The inhabitants of this accluded mountain village are very angry.  In the first place, one of the party is scandalised at the Llansilin magistrates speaking of them as if they did not form part of a Christian community, and also at the Rector for his vindicative conduct to one of his own flock, even though he might be a black sheep, and of his pretending to be in bodily harm of a man whose principal fault being that he refused to humiliate himself before his outraged clerical "pastor and master."

On the other hand, the friends and parties of the rector think that the obstinate offender who was discovered prowling about the sacred precincts of the Rectory, and encroaching on his preserves, should have been mulet in a good stiff fine, as an example to other evil doers  -  hardened offenders, whom the magistrates should have no mercy upon.  All parties agree, however, in censuring the bench of magistrates, although not on the same grounds.  Alas! For the peace of any place when law and the clerical order fall out.

Saturday, February 21, 1857.    No. 160.- vol. 1V. 


THOMAS MORGAN begs respectfully to inform the inhabitants of Ruabon and its vicinity that he intends to commence business early in March as a Cooper, when he will be prepared to supply his customers with every article in the trade on the very best of terms.

T.  M. will also undertake the brewing of ale and beer for small families on their own premises.

Epitome of News

It is given out that General TOM THUMB received 567 valentines on Saturday last.

The Great Britain steam ship sailed on Monday from Liverpool for Melbourne.

Among the first of several ships now on berth at Liverpool, which will sail for Australia, is the celebrated steam-clipper Great Briton.

A child of nine years has been committed to the County gaol for ten days for throwing stones in the Town of Torquay.

Wrexham Petty Sessions


RUTH JONES, of Minera, was brought up under a warrant to answer to a charge of assault preferred against her by HARRIET DAVIES, also of the Wern, Minera.  Complainant, it would appear, was engaged in sewing at a nieghbours of the defendant "3 week to-day," when on going home at about 6 o`clock in the evening, she was called back by RUTH, who wished particularly to know what "lies" she, Miss DAVIES, had been telling about them at the next door.  Angry words then ensued, when RUTH lifted up a shovel against the breast of the complainant, and also hit her on the breast with her hands.  This being pretty clearly proved in evidence, the defendant was fined 17s. 6d. including the cost for the warrant, which her husband paid.

ELIZA DAVIES summoned JAMES JONES, both from ?Gibralter? near Marchwiel, for an assault committed on her on Friday evening last.  There had been a bit of a scuffle between the complainant and her mother-in-law, when the defendant stepped in to end it, and in doing so, he pulled the complainant about, knocked her down, picked her up and then knocked her down again, and eventually push her into the road.  Mr. JONES not having much to say in answer to this, he was fined 30s. including costs  -  just to teach him better manners.


R.  JONES, ABEL EVANS and ROBT. GRIFFITHS, were charged by P.C. GEORGE THOMAS, with being drunk and disorderly near to the Chapel House, Minera, between 11 and 12 o`clock on Sunday night, the 8th inst.  Hearing a great noise on the road THOMAS went towards it, when he saw EVANS and GRIFFITHS stripped to their buff with a great number of people around.  On his attempting to get away GRIFFITHS tumbled into a hedge.  He let him go then, but in about half an hour afterwards he found him "rowing" with JONES just in the same way.  All the three were drunk.  The Chairman said if they were drunk it was the duty of the police to ascertain where they had been drinking, and to go to the root of the evil.  The Innkeepers were to blame, and if the police did their duty in summoning them, he thought there would not be so many cases of drunkenness brought before the Bench.  JONES having denied the charge was fined 13s. GRIFFITHS and EVANS admitting it were fined, including costs, 12s. each. 

THOMAS WILLIAMS, a shoemaker, from Adwy`r Clawdd, was in custody on a charge of being helplessly drunk on Saturday night, between 12 and 1 o`clock.  Seeing him in this state Sergeant JOHN OWENS kindly took him to the Bridewell.  Fined 8s. 6d. including costs.

Fatal Accident at the Brynrowen Colliery

On Wednesday last, a fatal accident occurred in a pit belonging to the Brynrowen Company.  A man named JONATHAN PHILLIPS, was employed in sinking a shaft when a portion of the earth fell in upon him and crushed him to pieces.  He has left a wife and two children to deplore his loss.  An inquest was held on Thursday before B. H. THELWALL, Esq., when a verdict of "accidental death" was returned.

Distressing and Fatal Accident:

On Thursday, the 12th inst., a most melancholy accident occurred at the Turnpike Gate, near the Kings Mills, about half a mile from Wrexham.  a man named EDWARD WYNN, (better known as LORDY WYNN) was shooting rats in that locality, and having sent his ferret down a rat hole, DAVIES, the keeper of the toll-gate went round to the back of the house to turn the rat in a given direction, so that WYNN might have a fair shot at it.  While DAVIES was in this concealed position a rat ran out of the hole but managed to insconce itself behind a bush when DAVIES put forth his hand to disturb him from his hiding place.  Just at this juncture, WYNN, seeing the rat move, but not being aware of DAVIES`s arm, fired, killed the rat, but unfortunately lodged the greater portion of the charge in DAVIES`s arm. 

Medical assistance was instantly procured but we regret to say that the injuries he had sustained were found to be of a very serious nature.  On Sunday morning, Mr. WILLIAMS, surgeon, recommended that he should be removed to the Infirmary, and on the evening of the same day it was found that mortification had set in so seriously that it was decided that the arm must be amputated.

The operation was accordingly performed that evening; after which DAVIES was found to be in a very exhausted state and remained so until Tuesday, when he expired.  Deceased was a remarkable decent and well behaved man, and had been, it is said, engaged in the greater part of the Affghanistan war.  He was at one time in the employ of the Market Hall Company, and subsequently, as already mentioned, keeper of the toll-gate at the Kings Mills.

An inquest was held on Wednesday, when it was decided that the shooting of the arm was accidental.  He was buried immediately after the inquest was over.

(It has been suggested by several gentlemen that a subscription should be entered into for the widow who has by this unfortunate accident been suddenly deprived of her husband.  She is in delicate health, and we recommend the case to the sympathy of the public.)

Saturday, February 28, 1857    No. 161.- vol. 1V. 

Mr. R. W. JOHNSON, Auctioneer, Wynnstay Arms Office, Wrexham.

Mr. EDISBURY, Auctioneer.

Mr. W.T. STEPHENSON, Chester St., Wrexham.

Mr. GRIFFITHS, Auctioneer

Mr. JOSEPH PEERS, Clerk of the Peace, Ruthin.

Mr. GOMER JONES, Old Temperance coffee house, Bank-st, Wrexham.

Mr. ALFRED LOCKWOOD, Egerton-st Saw mills, Wrexham.

Mr. WILLIAM PIERCE, Cabinet &Upholstery Manufacturer, Bridge-st, Wrexham.

Mr. JOHN DOLBY, Furnishing Ironmonger, Brazier &Tin-plate worker, Hope st, Wrexham.

Mr. R. ANKERS (Deceased), Glass ware, High-st, Wrexham.

Mr. EDWIN OWEN, Upholstery- Cabinet Manufactory, Town Hill, Wrexham.

            Removing from his old shop in Bridge street, Wrexham.

C & M. A. ROCKE, Furniture Establishment, Town-hill, Wrexham.

THOMAS ROBERTS, New Tea Establishment, High street, Wrexham.

            (nearly opposite the Market Hall).

S.  BAYLEY?S (late SUDLOW), General Confectionry, Bride Cake Establishment, Hope-street, Wrexham.

JOHN GITTENS, Iron monger, Hope-st, Wrexham.

JAMES PUGH, Currier, Leather Dealer, Saddler & Harness-maker, Town-hill, Wrexham.

JAMES OLLERHEAD, Famous Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, High-st, Wrexham.

THOMAS HEYWOOD, The Mitre Brewery, Wrexham.

LOVATT`S, Old Swan Inn, Wrexham.

Mr. RICHARD BROWN, Feathers Inn, Wrexham.

THOMAS MORGAN, Cooper, Ruabon.

THOMAS JONES, Secretary the Wrexham Loan & Investment Company, Temperance Hotel, Hope-st, Wrexham.

ARTHUR CLARKE, Writing and Accounts, Wrexham.

J.    JONES, Accountant and Paymaster`s Clerk in the Royal Denbigh, Rifles, Militia depot offices, Hope-st, Wrexham.

Mr. BAYLEY, Bookseller, Wrexham.

Mr. KNIBBS, High-st, Wrexham.

Mr. ANKERS, The Vaults, High-st, Wrexham.

Mr. HUGHES, Solicitor, Wrexham.

Mr. W. PIERCE, Cabinet-maker, Bridge-st, Wrexham.

DAVID JONES, Taylor and Clothier, Church-st, Wrexham.

J.    SPARROW, The Cottage, Holt-st, Wrexham.

ROBERT JONES, Blacksmith & Shoeing Smith, Wynnstay Arms Yard, Wrexham.

C & J. DAVIES, Boot & Shoe Warehouse, Hope-st, Wrexham.

                        Previously, Mr. D. B. SADLER, Tobacconists shop.

Epitome of news.

The steamship Kangaroo, so long frozen up in the Delaware, has arrived at Liverpool. 

Lord, NAPIER was one of the passengers on board the "Persia", which left Liverpool for New York on Saturday.

The Rev. Dr. LIVINGSTONE, the african traveller, had an interview with Prince ALBERT, on Friday, at Buckingham Palace.

The Austrian General who had the command of the troops in Bologna is dead.  The immediate cause of his death was 100 oysters of the largest size, which he ate at a sitting,

District News.

Cwm.- On Sunday night last, an old woman named ANNE ELLIS, aged 79, was burnt to death by her clothes accidently taking fire.  She was a native of the village and had lived there all her life.  An inquest was held on the body on Monday, the 23rd instant, at the house of Mr. CRESSLEY JONES, before P. PARRY Esq., the coroner, when a verdict of "accidental death" was returned.

Local News

Fatal accident-

On Thursday the 19th inst., a man named JOHN BERKLEY, in the employ of JOHN BOYDELL, Esq., of Rossett, met with his death from drowning.  It appears the deceased was engaged to fetch water with a horse and cart from the river Alun, to supply a steam threshing machine, which was at work at Alun Bank, and when filling the barrel, he by some means fell out of the cart into the river, the horse must have backed the cart, as when found, the wheel was upon him, thereby, it is believed preventing his getting up and saving himself.  An inquest was held on the body on Saturday last, and a verdict of "accidental death" was returned.  Deceased has left a wife and large family.

By the death of Sir GOODWIN PHILLIPS, at St. David`s, on Thursday, the Baronetcy so long attached to the Picton estate - it being, in fact, the oldest in Wales is extinct.  Sir GOODWIN had attained his 18th year.

The Indian Army -

Master GEORGE HAWKINS BONNOR, second son of the Rev. R. M. BONNOR, Vicar of Ruabon, has been appointed to a cadetship in the Indian army.

The Vale of Clwyd Railway -

The engineers and surveyors have now completed the marking out of the line, and the works will forthwith by commenced.

Halkin - Flintshire. -

On Thursday last, an inquest was held before P. PARRY, Esq., coroner, upon the body of an old man, named JOSEPH GODDARD, at Halkin.  It appears that he went to his work on Tuesday morning as usual, but not returning home at night, his family went in search of him.  They proceeded to a pit on the mountain, in which he worked in a small adventure of his own, when upon going down into it, they discovered him buried under some stones at the bottom - dead.  This melancholy occurrence ought to be a caution against people going to work in mines by themselves alone, especially in out of the way places.


Last Tuesday afternoon a destructive fire broke out in the rickyard of DANIEL JONES, a worthy little farmer.  It would appear that on the day in question, the servant girl had been heating the oven, and had thoughtlessly left some Lucifer matches within reach of an infant daughter, who knowing no better, set fire to one of the ricks, as she had seen the servant light the oven.  The loss is estimated at between £50 to £100.  It is much regretted that the property was not insured.

Saturday, March 7, 1857.      No. 162.- vol. 1V.  

Sudden Death :

On Wednesday last an inquest was held before J. EDWARDS, Esq., Coroner for the Borough of Holt and a respectable Jury, on the body of Mr. CHARLES CHALONER, gardener, who was found dead in his bed on Monday night last.  From the evidence it appeared that the deceased retired to bed about 10 o`clock on Monday night in his usual health  -  an hour afterwards he was found by his wife dead at her side, to the great consternation and distress of herself and the family.  A verdict was found in accordance with the above facts.

Saturday, March 21, 1857.    No. 164.- vol. 1V. 

Epitome of News.

Why do old maids wear mittens?

To keep off the chaps.

District News.


The late fatal accident on the Upper-road from Saint Asaph to Denbigh.  - Coroner`s Inquest.-

On Friday the 13th inst., an inquest was held before EVAN PRICE, Esq., M.D., one of the coroners for the County of Denbigh, and a highly respectable jury touching the death of JOHN PRICE ROBERTS, Esq., who was killed on the 10th inst.

(see deaths above) (full report in fourth column, page 3, (approx 12in x 3in.) March 21st, 1857, Wrexham Advertiser.)

Serious Accident at Pen-y-coed Colliery.

On Saturday last, a serious accident took place at the Pen-y-coed Colliery, to three colliers, who were ascending the shaft of the pit at the time.  When they had arrived 20 or 30 yards up the shaft the rope broke, and the men were instantly precipitated to the bottom; but, strange to say, not one of them lost their lives.  EDWARD JONES, of the Ffrith, had both his legs broken, and EDWIN PARRY, of the Cymmau, broke his right leg, and also dislocated his ankle; but the other man sustained but a very slight injury  -  he walking home afterwards to Minera.  J. H. JACKSON, Esq., Surgeon, Wrexham, was instantly sent for, and on his arrival, used the necessary and usual appliances on such occasions, with great promptitude.  Up to the present time we are glad to hear that the poor men are progressing favourably.

Saturday, March 28, 1857   No. 165.- vol. 1V.

Fatal Accident.

A fatal accident occurred at the Broughton Hall Colliery on Thursday last.  A collier named JAMES PIERCE was working down the pit when a piece of earth technically called a clod fell upon him, and crushed him in a very frightful manner.  He was extricated as soon as possible, but he died from the injuries received as they carried him up the shaft.  The deceased met with a similar accident a few months ago, and only commenced working on Monday morning last.

Denbighshire Quarter Sessions.

The Trial of Prisoners.

ANN COLLINS, 20, pleaded guilty to an indictment charging her with stealing a pair of boots at Ruthin; sentence  -  two months imprisonment and hard labour.

JOHN DOWNES pleaded guilty to stealing a watch and was sentenced to three months imprisonment and hard labour.

THOMAS DAVIES, 39, belonging to No. 8 Company of the Royal Denbigh Rifles, pleaded guilty to an indictment charging him with stealing a brass pan, the property of Mr. KNIBBS, Wrexham.  the court sentenced him to three months imprisonment with hard labour.

WILLIAM HUGHES, pleaded not guilty to an indictment charging him with stealing 27s. from the person of FANNY EVANS, landlady of The Star, Llangollen, on the 17th inst.  Verdict  -  not guilty.

Saturday, April 25, 1857.        No. 169.- vol. 1V.     

Epitome of News

A certain grave digger, not a hundred miles from Dunblane, complaining of want of employment during the recent period of prevailing good health throughout the district, remarked that "he had not buried a livin" soul for the last three weeks, except a sma` scart o` a bairn.

JOSEPH PARRY, aged 14, died on Saturday from the effects of drinking about a quarter of a bottle of whiskey, which he and some other lads had found in a Railway Station at Liverpool.

Saturday, May 2, 1857.     No. 170.- vol. 1V.     

Epitome of News.

Mr. JOHN TOWERS, one of the oldest and most defatigable agricultural writers in England, died on Saturday last, at his home in Croydon, at the good old age of 79.

Saturday, May 23, 1857.      No. 173.- vol. 1V. 

  The late Sir WILLIAM LLOYD.  - The funeral of this much respected gentleman took place on (---)day at Llandudno, and the bells of Wrexham Parish Church, by order of Mr. JOHN CLARK, (draper), and other gentlemen, tolled a muffled peal during the afternoon, as a mark of their respect and esteem for the deceased.

District News:                        Cefn Mawr.

Accident:  - An accident occurred on Monday last to a man named STEPHEN GIBBONS, who was employed at the Cefn Pit, Plas Kynaston Colliery.  A quantity of earth fell upon him whilst working, and when he was rescued, it was discovered that his leg was broken.  Mr. Richards, of Chirk, was at once sent for, and as no other serious injury has been suffered, he is progressing favourably.

A Young Girl Killed by Lightning:  - On Thursday evening, the 14th instant, a young girl, named ANNE EDWARDS, 13 years of age, and daughter of Mr. JOHN EDWARDS, carpenter, of Penybryn Cottage, Acrefair, was killed by lightning on her way from her home to a shop at Rhosymedre.  Her mother was gone to Oswestry, and about half-past 5 o`clock she started from her home.  It was tolerably fine when she left the house, but on her arriving at the Church Field on the top of the hill between the two places she was struck by the electric fluid and instantly rendered senseless.  Shortly afterwards she was found lying on the earth by another little girl, who on going up to her, saw her lips move a little.  A man hastily came up and conveyed her to the nearest public house, but life was quite extinct.  An inquest was held on the body on Saturday, before (-). H. THELWALL, Esq., coroner, when a verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.  She was buried on the following Monday.

Saturday, May 30, 1857.     No. 174.- vol. 1V.

District News:                        St. Asaph 

Sudden Death: A young man named JOSEPH JONES, servant at the Rose and Crown public-house, St. Asaph, retired to bed at about nine o`clock on the night of the 18th inst., in perfect health.  About four o`clock next morning he was found dead by his master, JOHN JONES.  an inquest was held on the body by P. PARRY, Esq., coroner for the county and a verdict of "Died by the Visitation of God" returned.

Local News:              

Sudden Death:  Mr. MARREN, who had lately taken over the Union Tavern, York-street, Wrexham, died somewhat suddenly on Tuesday morning last.  He had not been very well for some time past, but on Friday he became decidedly worse and a doctor was sent for.  On Sunday and Monday he was much better, and was pronounced to be "all right".  On Tuesday morning, however, he was suddenly attacked by spasms in the stomach, from which he died in a very short time.  The deceased was a young man of steady and active habits, and was much respected in his sphere of life by those with whom he had dealings.  He had formerly been employed as a brewer by Mr. ROWLAND, (Fleece Inn) and Mr. BATE, and had only just started in business on his own account.

Saturday, June 13, 1857.      No. 176.- vol. 1V.     

Caergwrle Castle Festival.

Tea-party at Caergwrle Castle, on Monday, June 22nd, 1857.  Tickets, 1s. each, to be had at Mrs. JONES, Derby Arms.  The Buckley Band will attend.

Saturday, July 4, 1857.    No. 179.- vol. 1V. 


On Sunday morning last four men and six women belonging to the Baptist denomination in Brymbo were baptized in a pool above the village.  There were several thousands present to witness the ceremony, several parties from Wrexham and other places going there to assist, and some from curiosity.


Further transcriptions will be added as available.


Copyright T. J. Mercer. © 2007-2014  All rights reserved